Solpadol is used for severe pain in adults and works with a combination of 30mg of codeine and 500mg of paracetamol. Paracetamol provides relief from pain and lowers fever while codeine binds to brain receptors and reduces the overall experience of pain.
Why would Solpadol be prescribed?
It is usually prescribed by a doctor if other milder painkillers have not been effective, particularly for pain and fever from migraine, back pain, headaches or period pain. It is only for temporary use as long term use can cause addiction so it must always be used and stopped under doctor’s advice.
Can I take Solpadol for my health condition?
You must always tell your doctor if you are taking any other kind of medication or supplement, and if you have any other health conditions as these could affect how Solpadol works. If any of the following applies to you, you should not be prescribed Solpadol:
- If you have an allergy to codeine, paracetamol or any other ingredients
- If you are a breast feeding mother
- If you have either severe liver disease or severe kidney disease
- If you have been told that you metabolise codeine into morphine quickly
- If you have any kind of breathing difficulties such as asthma
- If you drink alcohol daily or to excess
- If you suffer from diarrhoea
- If you have had a gallbladder operation recently
Can I drink alcohol while taking Solpadol?
It is really important not to drink alcohol if you are taking Solpadol because it will impact on how the medication works and will also increase the possibility of suffering from harmful side effects. It is vital to speak to your doctor if you are a regular drinker or have an alcoholism issue, prior to taking this medication.
How much Solpadol can I take?
It is really important to follow your doctor’s instructions on how to take your medication but make sure you never exceed the dose. It is important not to take any other paracetamol-based medication while taking Solpadol. The following dose guidance is for reference:
Adults – Take 2 Solpadol tablets every 4-6 hours. Take no more than 8 tablets in 24 hours.
Are there any side effects from taking Solpadol?
It is vital that you read through all of the patient information to understand the side effects which are possible with this medication. Some of the most common side effects are:
- Feeling dizzy or light headed
- Feeling sleepy or drowsy
- Stomach pains
What can I do to reduce my risk of experiencing side effects?
- Let your doctor know any other medication you are taking or any other health conditions you suffer from
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Solpadol
Can I buy Solpadol safely online?
You need a prescription from a registered doctor to buy Solpadol online. If you use an online pharmacy they will assess your request with a doctor before agreeing to sell you any medication.