What is Co-codamol?
Co-codamol contains both Codeine and Paracetamol and is used for the relief of severe pain for adults. Co-codamol capsules are made up of 500mg of paracetamol and 30mg of codeine together.
The paracetamol works by relieving pain and also lowering temperatures, while the codeine works on pain receptors in the brain, reducing the overall pain experience.
Are Co-codamol and Solpadol the same thing?
Yes, if the dose is 30mg/500mg they contain the same ingredients.
Why would Co-codamol be prescribed?
Generally it would be prescribed if milder painkillers have provided no relief. It can be given for pain and fever which are generated from migraine, period pain, back pain or any other pain and needs to be prescribed by your doctor. Long term use of Co-codamol can lead to dependence so you must speak to your doctor before stopping treatment.
Can I take Co-codamol for my condition?
You always need to talk to your doctor before taking Co-codamol and advise him/her of any other medications you are taking and any other health conditions you may be suffering from. If you are suffering from any of these issues then Co-codamol may not be suitable:
- If you have an allergy to codeine, paracetamol or any of the other ingredients
- If you area breast feeding mother
- If you have liver or kidney disease which is severe
- If you have been advised that you metabolise codeine into morphine very quickly
- If you have any kind of breathing condition such as asthma
- If you drink alcohol daily or very regularly
- If you suffer from diarrhoea
- If you have had an operation on your gallbladder recently
How much Co-codamol can I take?
It is vital that you always follow your doctor’s advice on the correct dosage for you. Do not exceed the given dose and do not take any other paracetamol products while using Co-codamol. The below dose is for guidance only.
Adults – take one to two capsules every four to six hours. Do not take more than eight capsules in 24 hours.
What are the side effects of taking Co-codamol?
You should always read the patient information to make sure that you understand any possible side effects and when you might need to seek medical advice. Some of the most common side effects of Co-codamol are:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feeling dizzy, or light-headed
- Feeling sleepy
- Suffering with stomach pains
It is important to understand that there is a risk of addiction with Co-codamol so you should always seek a doctor’s advice before, and while you are taking it.
Is it possible to reduce my chances of side effects?
- Let your doctor know about any other medication or health conditions you have
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Co-codamol
Can I buy Co-codamol safely online?
Yes, but only with a prescription from a registered doctor. If you use an online pharmacy your request will first be reviewed by a doctor before the medication is sold to you.