Modafinil works on the central nervous system to help people stay awake and can be prescribed for adults with narcolepsy and also for sleep apnoea. There is no cure available for sufferers of narcolepsy but Modafinil can relieve the symptoms.
Narcolepsy is a rare neurological disease which strikes both men and women, generally starting in adolescence but sometimes later in life. It impacts how the patient’s brain works to regulate waking and sleep patterns, meaning sufferers feel incredibly tired during the day, and can fall asleep suddenly and out of the blue, in the middle of the day.
Symptoms of narcolepsy:
- Strong sleepy feelings during the day
- Suddenly falling asleep, particularly when undertaking dull activities
- Sudden temporary loss of muscle control – cataplexy
- Inability to temporarily move or speak when waking up from sleep
- Hallucinations, memory problems, headaches and depression are also associated with narcolepsy
Can I take Modafinil?
There are a number of medications and health conditions which can impact on the use of Modafinil and increase the potential risk of side effects so your medical history and any other medications you are taking will need to be taken into account before taking Modafinil.
If any of the following conditions apply, then Modafinil should not be prescribed:
- If you have an allergy to Modafinil or any of its ingredients
- If you suffer from a heartbeat which is irregular
- If you have uncontrolled blood pressure issues, either moderate or high
- If you suffer from conditions including low moods, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder or psychosis – Modafinil worsens these types of conditions
Can I take Modafinil with Contraceptives?
If you are taking any kind of hormonal contraceptive including the pill, implants, the coil or patches, then you need to be aware that Modafinil reduces the effectiveness of all of these contraception methods. You will need to use other methods while taking the drug and for two months after you end the treatment.
How much Modafinil should I take?
Always follow the instructions from your doctor on the dosage which is right for you. The below guidelines are for general reference only. Modafinil should always be swallowed with water and you must never exceed the dose outlined.
The general dose is 200mg in one day. This can be taken in the morning as a single dose, or as a 100mg dose in the morning, followed by a second 100mg dose at lunch time.
For The Elderly – Over 65s
For the elderly, the general dose is 100mg daily, which can either be taken in the morning, or split into a 50mg dose in the morning and a second 50mg dose at lunchtime.
You need to take Modafinil even if you feel rested when you wake up as it solves the symptoms and does not provide a cure to the actual condition.
What are the side effects of Modafinil?
Some of the common side effects which have been reported from taking Modafinil, include:
- Dizzy spells
- Feeling extremely sleepy and tired
- Problems getting to sleep
- Pains in the chest
- Lack of appetite, nausea, indigestion
- Tingling feelings or numbness in the feet and hands
If you have any symptoms which could demonstrate an allergy to Modafinil, such as a rash, swelling or itching, or breathing problems, you must contact your doctor immediately.
Is there a way to reduce the side effects?
- Always read the patient leaflet thoroughly before taking the medication
- Always advise the doctor of all medications and supplements you are taking
- Always follow the instructions on how to take the correct dose and never exceed it
Is Modafinil known by any other names?
Yes, Modafinil is sold under various brand names, including Alertec, Provigil and also Modagivil.
Can I safely buy Modafinil online?
Yes, you can only legally and safely buy it online if you have a genuine medical prescription from a registered doctor. Online, you will need to complete a medical questionnaire which will then be reviewed by a qualified doctor before any treatment is prescribed or sold to you.